It Is Necessary For Personal Trainers To Be Insured?

Personal Trainers and Insurance?

If you’re starting your career as a personal trainer, you’re probably wondering whether or not you need professional personal trainers insurance. The short answer is yes; you do to protect yourself against any accidents or injuries your clients experience while in your care, especially in our sue-happy society these days. In most states, to gain your certification you have to have proof of insurance. Here are some other things to consider in regards to liability insurance.

If you’re training within a health club, care facility, or community center, most likely you’re covered under their insurance policy when training on the premises. Usually their coverage is for employees, trainers, group leaders and anyone else who works for the club. If the only training you do is as an employee for the club, you wouldn’t need extra insurance. Be sure to check with and fully understand your employer’s insurance policies before you start training.

If you train within a facility as a contractor, you are most likely not covered by their insurance. A contract employee isn’t an employee of the facility but contracts out its equipment and space. If a client gets injured during a session, the club’s insurance will protect the club but you would be left without coverage and could incur a personal lawsuit as a result. You can check with the club who you do contract work for to make sure, but usually they won’t include contractors in their policies.

If you plan on doing any kind of training at all on your own, either in your own home gym, in a client’s home, or outdoor classes, you’ll need your own liability insurance. Even if you have all clients sign a waiver, you’re not safe. Waivers generally sign away a client’s rights to sue in the case of any foreseeable injuries. Most lawyers can argue that a client’s injury wasn’t foreseeable and you’ll be stuck with a lawsuit on your hands.

The types of insurance for personal trainers are general liability insurance and professional liability insurance. Your need for general liability is determined by how much control you’ll have over where you do the training. A public facility would need this to cover them for all equipment malfunction and hazards on the premises, like slippery walking surfaces. If you do your training mostly from your client’s homes or outdoors, you wouldn’t need as much general coverage. But if you train within a public facility or use your own gym, you would want to have general coverage.

Professional liability works much the same as the malpractice insurance that doctors and lawyers have. This insurance covers a trainer for anything that considered as professional negligence. Your clients use your services assuming you’re skillful and knowledgeable in your field and they need compensation for any injury or accident that results from your negligence. These two kinds of insurances are usually obtained separately.

Once you know the kind of training you’ll be doing, you can easily find a ton of online insurance info to answer any more questions you might have or to start the process of setting up your liability insurance.

Health & Fitness Blog Health & Fitness Blog Health & Fitness Blog Health & Fitness Blog Health & Fitness Blog